Thursday, August 25, 2016

Guardiola: I can't keep everyone happy

Pep Guardiola defended his decision to replace Joe Hart as Manchester City's No.1 goalkeeper after seeing off Steaua Bucharest to reach the Champions League group stage.
Hart was named in the starting XI for the first time this season in the 1-0 victory over the Romanian side, which wrapped up a 6-0 aggregate win.

With Guardiola confirming Claudio Bravo is set to sign from Barcelona, Hart was given a rousing reception by the City supporters in what may prove to be his last game for the club.
"Joe is still a player for us," the coach told BT Sport. "I know he is a legend for this club - one of the reasons the club is what it is.
"I know he helped make this team one step above so I am so happy the players treat him like this and love him. He solved their few chances they had without a problem.

"I am here to take decisions. I make a lot of mistakes. Some good and some bad, but I try to be honest. I can't deny what I feel. I was honest with Joe and all the players in the squad.
"Joe right now is a player for Man City and if he has to play, he will play. I am so happy that today he played at the level he has.
When asked about Hart's popularity with the fans, Guardiola replied: "I don't know. They can express what they feel.
"I would like all my decisions to make everyone happy but it is impossible. You have to take a decision to impact on the life of the players. We have 28 players. Seventeen cannot play.
"From the beginning I arrived here with a lot of information and I analyse. I have to take a decision and I cannot deny what I feel.
"If the fans are not happy I can understand. He has done more than I might do at this club. These guys like [David] Silva, Yaya [Toure] make this club how it is. It's not a club with European history.

No comments:

Post a Comment